Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Catching up

Just wanted to talk for a few minutes about owning a small business like this in a small town. It can be both rewarding and frustrating. There is such a huge investment emotionally and financially. I think sometimes people don't realize what is involved, or maybe they forget. Because I am not consignment I bear all the financial burden. I do not want to be consignment because I want to control my inventory and the look of my shop. I really feel I am representing a style more than being a second hand furniture store. At the beginning I would entertain offers to a certain extent, but I no longer want to do that. In the past month I have not accepted any offers because my things are wonderfully priced already. I have so much time and effort in each piece that it is an injustice to sell  myself to cheap. I think that people think of you as a horse trader if you let them. I am not. I am not a thrift store either.  Most of my clientele are people my age or young ladies that work for the bank or the hospital or even hairdressers. They come in and love my work and never make me an offer, they pay what I am asking.And they appreciate their pieces. Why should I bargain with some and not others. It seems disloyal to my main customer base. Then there are those that come in regular that never buy, but want to come sell me all there old furniture at premium price. Not that I don't think their things are great it is just not possible to pay what they want, revamp and resell and make money. I also want to bring in things from other areas, My clients can get what is available locally themselves, why would I buy it and raise the price and sell.It does not seem logical. One of my niches is that all my pieces are from other areas. I just don't buy local. When I back down and do buy from someone here to help them out it always hurts me financially.So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment